Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Sad Mother's Day...

Today is Mother's Day. A day to celebrate. At least for most of us. However, this year I joined the ranks of the motherless daughters. My mother passed away on November 2, 2013. My mom was my best friend. My cheerleader. My confidante. My mom. I miss her every single day.

To be a Mom is an honor. I wish more mothers realized this. God loans us his children. He entrusts us to raise them right and honor Him by doing so. I failed miserably at this as a young mother. My mom - succeeded!

My mom was a stay-at-home mom most of my life. She spent summers teaching me and my brothers arts and crafts and writing for fun. We played in the back yard and gardened.

My mom taught me the value of family and togetherness. She taught me perseverance and unconditional love. She taught me how to make lemonade out of lemons. My mom taught me how to make biscuits and gravy from scratch - which seems to be a lost art. She taught me how to make fried chicken and how to cut up a whole fryer. Mom taught me the value of holidays and homemade gifts - made with love.

Mom taught me how to laugh and enjoy life to the fullest. She raised 5 children and never complained. Even when it seemed we had nothing. She made me feel rich! She sewed our school clothes to save money. I always had beautiful clothes. She made my last wedding dress.

My mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer in June 2011. The cancer had metastasized to her lungs and her liver and her lymph nodes.  The doctor instructed to get her affairs in order. She would be lucky to live to see Christmas. She looked the doctor square in his face and said, "Doc, I will celebrate my 50th Wedding Anniversary on May 4, 2013. You can bet I will live to see that day!" AND SHE DID!

My mom survived 3 rounds of chemo. She was sick often. But never complained. She was in the hospital frequently. But still laughed about life. She smiled and asked the nurses to keep her window opened so she could see the sun. She loved the outdoors and loved her animals.

I had the honor of caring for my mom in her last few weeks on earth, in my home, in hospice. We laughed and cried together. I fed her and bathed her. I got up in the wee hours of the mornings when she was scared, lonely or hungry. I never complained. I did it all in love. I owed her that. I owed God that.

On this Motherless Mother's Day, I can gratefully say, I am honored to have had such an incredible Mother!!



Post a Comment